Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Viva el arte

Hey guys! Sorry it's been a while since my last update. Work is getting busy now, which I'm happy about, but I'm still very lazy since summer "officially" began yesterday. So to get right on the ball, my friend and I went to visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art on the upper east side of Manhattan. Surprisingly, the MET is not my favorite museum (a lot of people already hate me for this). I rather prefer the Whitney, or even the Guggenheim, but never would I have said I liked the MET. I guess it's all those museum reports for school. However, the exhibits I saw there were EXTRAORDINARY. It was scary. Like, was this exhibit here before and I just never saw it? When did this appear? WHAT HAPPENED?! I was so amazed by everything about the MET that now I can finally say it is one of my top three museums on my list.

Be prepared to be amazed!

What do these look like? branches? sticks? You're close...
They're bamboos! Whats even more amazing, is that these bamboos aren't in a forest, its on top of the roof at the MET museum!
The artist designed the bamboos on the rooftop, where not only can you sit and climb on...
...but to see the amazing view of the New York skyline! Isn't it a beaut?! The juxtaposition of nature and the gray buildings create a dynamic view of harmony in the big, bad, urban jungle. It reveals how human creation and nature intertwine in such a creative way. Both sides are enhanced by the existance of the other. I think this exhibit really expressed this theme well.
Dazed and very impressed, I went downstairs to the modern and contemporary exhibits. I was so ecstatic because I haven't seen such radical paintings/sculptures/ideas at the MET EVER. It made me sooooo happy to find such creativity at the MET, because usually I go to the Whitney or MoMA for such great works. I think the MET is finally displaying not only its traditional pieces, but also moving to make room for pieces that exhibit a more contemporary outlook of art.
I absolutely loved this piece. The whole wall is lined up with canvas that display solid gradation of colors. So simple, but peaceful and calming at the same time. It's quite exciting - it reminds me of my moods. Sometimes I can be really happy and yellow, others blue and gloomy. The colors are really bright and colorful, which really emphasizes human emotion (and other things as well).

I love Jackson Pollack, and I was very glad his painting was at the exhibit. He is one of my favorite artists of all time! :)

By the way, the BEST TIME EVER TO GO TO THE MUSEUM, is on a SATURDAY NIGHT WITH A FRIEND because the museum is open until like 9 PM, and its just so quiet and intimate because its not as crowded. It was soooo much better to be there - a whole new experience.<3>_<).
Picasso exhibit was displayed. Personally, I never really liked Picasso (don't hate me). BUT, the MET, once again, surprised me. So I really thought he was a cubist painter, but he had a whole DIFFERENT style when he was just starting off! His paintings were so provocative yet had a point of view. His paintings were so distinct and... I don't know... questioning? Okay, not the greatest word, but, his paintings made you THINK. He didn't also just paint people just because he wanted to, but because he wanted to GET HIS POINT ACROSS. They were so... revealing about the society he was living in, especially concerning women. He depicted the psychological depression of people's lives, and also, I think his own. It was so... emotional? More along the lines of... expressive. I really enjoyed his beginning days as an artist after I saw his exhibit. Afterall, it changed to a whole different style in the end. Each room was like walking through his life as an artist, starting from when he was young to when he matured and succeeded. Though I took pictures of his exhibit, I didn't put any up (other than the beginning room) because I felt I would ruin the beauty and magic of the exhibit. EVERYONE should go to the MET in general, because I learned so much that day. It was really quite inspiring, and made me realize how quick I judged art. (Forgive me, art!) So the lesson of the day? Go, get inspired, and paint! :)
However! The day wasn't over yet! We went all over the place once again, but the last stop was Dylan's Candy Bar! Seriously, M&M store is so overrated (Time Square, NY). Dylan's Candy Bar was like getting high off of sugar. It was a totally cool place (though expensive for my taste).

The outside is so bright and groovy aha~ It's so bright, especially at night. It's beckoning to me...
Not only is the place filled with candy from top to bottom, it also has a cafe on the first floor and party rooms in the basement!
When I said the place was filled with candy, I meant it! The stairs even have candy inside each step! It's quite wonderful :D
So that's it for today folks! Time for some green tea with honey and Chobani's greek yogurt.
I hope all of you have a relaxing day!
~simplymeeeeeee


Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At July 9, 2010 at 7:39 AM , Blogger Alana said...

can we do a museum tour in august?? (except no rooftops for me-- i'm a scaredy cat of heights!)

 
At July 11, 2010 at 6:32 PM , Blogger ~Simplyme said...

I actually have 4 vouchers to the museum of natural history - but soyeon and her brother are planning to visit... so if you can, we do have an extra voucher ;)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home